The main motive of this test is to assess the ability of internationals in English. The test contains 4 sections: Reading, listening, speaking, and writing. You have to show all your skills in English within 3 hours only, including a break of 10 minutes, as there will be no extra time given to you for a break. The questions posted in these exams are based on real-life situations, and it is requested that all the students learn a range of vocabulary as it will help them to get the highest score in this exam by supporting their answers very clearly. Moreover, an applicant can attend a free information session to learn about the test. They can practice for the CELPIP exam through an online sample paper on the official website of CELPIP, as it gives fruitful benefits to the candidate. If candidates try to solve the sample papers, they will become habitual of the exam and feel more comfortable on the test date.
This section has 4 parts and 1 practice question; applicants must answer all the questions in only 55-60 minutes.
- Practical part: In this part, you can practice a task that will help you become customary to the computer system and get a high score. You have only 1 minute to perform the practical test.
- Reading correspondence: In this part, there are 11 questions, a summary will be posted on your screen, and you will have different multiple-choice answers. According to the information, you should select only one correct answer from the given option and will move to the further question in this part.
- Read to apply a diagram: Test-taker will witness a lot of diagrams in each question, as there are 8 questions based on the diagram in this part. The question will be asked from you based on the diagram, and you will answer all of them which suit the diagram as there are several blanks that you have to fill in from the multiple answers or menu.
- Read from information: In this type of question, a topic will be posted based on real life, and you must select the correct summary that matches the paragraph or the topic. If the information does not match the topic, you can choose not to give any answer from the mentioned paragraph. Only 9 questions were asked of you based on this task.
- Read for viewpoint: Topics based on real life will be posted to which vast amounts of information will be given. After reading the topic, you have to fill up the blanks which will be asked of you based on the topic. There are 10 questions posted on your screen based on the viewpoint, and you will answer all the questions within a given time.
There are 5 different tasks in this section, including a practical test, and you have to complete all the questions. Moreover, a practice test will pay for you in which you will hear a short clip, and you have to answer that question, and you will hear the recording once only.
- Listening to problem-solving: A short statement will play, and you must answer correctly per the topic. The short statement is about 1 to 1.15 minutes long. In this section, you will hear the statement and choose the correct answer from the options. 8
- Listening to a daily conversation: In this type of question, you must answer as you will hear a short lecture. Make sure you have listened to the recording once only. The statement is about 1.5 to 2 minutes long, and you have to select only one correct answer from multiple options 5
- Listening for information: In this part of listening, you have to hear the conversation for 2 to 2.5 minutes. Candidates have to choose one correct option to support their answer. There are a total of 6 questions based on information about daily life. Candidates have to choose the one correct. However, there are several options available for you to choose
- Listen to a news item: Audio will play based on the news item. You have to select the one correct option from the multiple choice as there are many options available on the screen, and you have selected only one, and there is no negative marking for any wrong answer. Five questions based on a news item will be posted on your computer screen, and you must answer each. The short lecture is about 2 to 2.5 minutes long.
- Listen to a discussion: A video lecture of 2 minutes will play on your computer screen, and you will be asked 8 questions based on the discussion. It is important to note that there will be only one video based on the discussion, and eight questions will be asked of you based on the discussion.
- Listen to a viewpoint: In this part, you have to listen to an audio clip, which is about 3 minutes long, and you will only hear the recording once. Candidates have to choose their answer from the mentioned options as there are various options given to you, and you have to select and correct an answer.
This writing section has two types of questions: writing an email and responding to a survey question.
- While writing an email, you should use all types of sentences and a range of vocabulary. For instance, A Hotel requires a grocery to cook food, and you have to request or write an Email to the sale manager of the grocery store to deliver all the cooking items to their hotel. Students should write those types of emails.
- While responding to a survey means you have to write and share your response to the survey. Candidates are required to write at least 150 words but not exceed 200 words.
For instance, a survey was conducted by BBC new on the population of America; candidates had to write all the answers related to that topic which CELPIP asked.
You have to answer 9 types of questions, and you have to answer within 15- 20 minutes.
- Giving Advice: A topic will be posted on your screen, and you will speak for 1 minute on this type of question as you will be given 1 minute to prepare your answer. While giving advice, you should speak as fluently as you can.
- Talking about a personal experience: In this section, you must share your viewpoint to support your answer. Some relevant examples are also necessary to speak with fluency.
- Describing a scene: A picture will show you, and you are required to speak and try to cover all the information given in the picture. You can get a higher score as much as you can cover the content given on your screen.
- Making predictions: The test taker is required to make predictions on the given topic as the main motive of this test is to assess the speaking skills and how candidates perform their skills to make a prediction
- Comparing and Persuading: In this test, you are given two pictures, and you have to compare both things, and you have only to speak in your way. Try to cover all the information and as much as you can.
- Dealing With a Difficult Situation: You will be given a topic based on a problematic situation, and you have to speak and share your ideas on how you tackle the problem. In this task, you must elaborate on your idea as much as possible.
- Expressing Opinions: Topics based on reasons and solutions are given to you. Candidates have to share their opinion by showing their skills, and you have only 1 minute to prepare your answer, and you should speak for 1.5 to 2 minutes.
- Describing an Unusual Situation: A situation will create a topic, and you have to prepare it for one minute and speak without any pause. All the test-taker must try to speak fluently during the speaking test.